Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How much should I tip my stylist and nail tech for christmas?

I see my nail tech every 2 weeks faithfully. I see my stylist every 3 weeks for a wax and every 8 weeks for highlights and cut. I always tip at least 15-20%. I was thinking $20 and a small gift. I know they would both appreciate the cash more than a gift card. Anyone have a more creative or better idea?How much should I tip my stylist and nail tech for christmas?
Cash, cash and more cash. Your stylist and nail tech are working to support themselves and their families and live off of tips. Give them an extra 15% over what you would normally tip and a thank you card. They will appreciate you and will go out of their way to do an extra special job on your nails and hair. Trust. Both my sister and my neice do hair and nails and they need the money.How much should I tip my stylist and nail tech for christmas?
Very good questions, I was wondering the same thing for my nail tech and I'm going Friday. I never went this close to Christmas before so I didn't worry about it because I tip each time also.


They seem to have everything but time off.
I would go with money. It's what everyone wants. You never go wrong.





They aren't close friends or family and there's no way for you to know what they really would like.
Believe it or not, the general guidelines for gift-giving are up to the cost of one visit (I've heard that before, and found a link that I provided below). That should be fine for a nail tech - I don't have one, but I don't think the services are that expensive, and typically people go to a nail tech more often than to a hairdresser - but it seems a little steep for a hairdresser. (I go for a cut %26amp; color every 8 weeks, and it comes to $137/ visit before a tip, and I always tip a minimum of 20%. Yikes!)





Anyway...last year I visited my hairdresser a week and a half prior to Christmas, and I brought along a package with two dozen homemade Christmas cookies for her. She took one look at them, her mouth dropped open, declared them the best Christmas present she'd gotten and threw them in her cabinet so she wouldn't have to share them with everyone else! I visited her earlier this year (before I made Christmas cookies), so I made her a batch of homemade toffee (coated in nuts %26amp; very expensive chocolate) instead. When I told her I had her gift with me, she got all excited and asked if it was cookies again. She was even happier with the toffee (and still not inclined to share with her co-workers)! : D





My point: you don't have to spend a lot of money if you really know what your service provider would appreciate. If you have no idea (or yours isn't unmarried without children [mine is]), just give money - and I would say give more to the stylist than the nail tech since you see her nearly as often and for more expensive services.
I think for a person who you see regularly, the cost of one regular service is considered an appropriate Christmas tip.
If you always tip at least 15-20%, that is plenty. If you want to give something a little extra, either $10-$20 with a card is more than enough or a little gift, but not both.

No comments:

Post a Comment